Monday, February 5, 2007

Frozen pipes


So I just got home a couple hours ago and went to turn on my water........but nothing.............no drip, no dribble............nothing.

Then it registered "you idiot". (I'm talking to myself at this point). "You forgot to leave the water running a little this morning. See when it gets really cold out (like the below 0 weather we have been having lately) I need to let my water run a little so the pipes don't freeze.

Well I forgot.

So I call my landlord, feeling like a complete dope, and say "Um.....I forgot to leave my water run and now I don't have any. Is there anything you can do?" So he comes up and starts working.

And what do I do? Well I could have gone out in my pajamas and watched him work on thawing the pipes, or I could have sat inside and watched 24, but instead I started praying. Because I remembered my post that I want to have "prayers that move mountains" or that break the ice out of pipes!! So I start praying and in a matter of about 8 minutes of me pleading to God for water (because I surely couldn't do anything to get the water back) water started pouring out!!!!

So did I learn my lesson? Yes the water is going to be running all night and all day tomorrow!

But more important it made me think of something else. As I sat there praying and thinking about the ice that could be blocking the pipes and not letting water pass I thought of how easy it is to become like those frozen pipes. How often do I let bitterness, jealousy, pride, anger harden like ice inside of me? Not allowing for the river of life to flow through me and in me?

I challenge myslef and you with the words to a favorite song of my students!

I've got a river of life flowing out of me
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see
Opens prison doors sets the captive free
I've got a river of lie flowing out of me
Spring up oh well, within my soul
Spring up oh well, and make me whole
Spring up oh well, and give to me
That life abundantly

No comments: