Thursday, February 22, 2007

Book review



Somewhere near the beginning of last month God led me into the library of my home church. I scanned the shelves looking for a “pretty” book. To be honest a lot of times I judge a book by its cover! So when I saw a beautiful light orange color on the binding of a thin book, I quickly pulled it out. And when I saw the beautiful nature scene on the front, I of course was drawn even more to it.

BUT then I read the title……….. “Brokenness”?




Why this beautiful scene with a title like that.

Did I really want to read a book about brokenness?

Brokenness made me think of weakness.

Brokenness made me think of sadness.

Brokenness made me think of something I did not want to be.

BUT in reality I had been feeling somewhat broken recently, which just drew me deeper to the idea that I probably needed to read this book.

And so I did.

And then I bought the book.

And then I bought the whole series of books written by the author.

And then I read them all……….and have a lot to share about all of them.

So let me say first that if you want to read some beautiful, challenging, life-changing writing take a look at these books by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

But only read them if you really want to be challenged and are willing to listen to what the Spirit wants to teach you through them.

And here is just a little piece from what I am currently learning from the book “Holiness” in this book series.

God has called me to live a holy life.

When I say this it overwhelms me because I feel so unholy most days.
I want everything to go MY way.
I wake up and just want to go back to bed and not have to face a day of service for my Lord.
Someone calls me because they need to talk and I don’t want to even answer the phone because it is taking away from a moment that I can relax.
I have a meeting to discuss church stuff, but I can’t help thinking “do I really have to do this, I could be doing so many other things”.
I am a selfish, sinful person……….how can I possibly achieve this calling of holiness to which God has called me?

“For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight”

And then the Spirit gently nudges me and says “I did not ask you to do this on your own, learn from my holiness, let me guide you in holiness.”
And I remember that I have the pure and spotless lamb living in me, guiding and leading me towards holiness if I just look to Him. Only when I look to the holiness of the perfect, holy ONE will I see my unholiness and be lead towards true holiness.

So let me leave you with some scripture that Nancy points out in her book, that speaks to me about holiness in my own life……………may it speak to yours………………….

I Peter 1:15-16
“But as He who called you is holy
You also be holy in all your conduct
Since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy”.

Ephesians 1:4
“For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight”

I John 1:6-7
“If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, Purifies us from all sin.”

No comments: