Thursday, May 5, 2011

Elimination Communication - THE POTTY




So I wanted to blog about this so #1 others can share the experience and #2 so I actually have a record of what is currently happening with Tian and THE POTTY.


That's right THE POTTY.......Tian just turned 8 months and for about 2 months now he has been sitting on his potty. BUT not just sitting.......actually going to the bathroom.


For a month and a half now I have had to wash very few (probably 5 poopy diapers - I am cloth diapering) and the diapers are starting to get less wet now.


How did this happen you may ask?


Well it all started with a book "Diaper free before three" that I read. And then running into another mom at a sign language class who confirmed that she is using this same approach "And it works". And finally reading some blogs about other mothers trying the same thing.


So I figured why not what will it hurt. I just start by sitting him on his potty a couple times a day to get him used to sitting on something. (I waited until he was sitting up on his own which was around 6 months). I would just sit him on the potty and give him some toys to play with or read some books. He thought this was fun! We would sit there for maybe 10-15 minutes and just play. I would sit him on the potty first thing in the morning upon waking and then during diaper changes. Some moms leave the diaper on at first and just sit them on the pot. I don't know if I was just being risky or what but I just sat him on there without anything on. He seems to like being naked anyway:) I also started trying to communicate with him while he was on the potty by doing the sign language sign for potty and making bathroom noises such as grunting and "ssssssss". And before I knew what was happening I looked in the potty after the first couple of times and there it was.


So what has happened since.......Tian continues to go poo every morning upon waking......that's right.....every morning like clockwork. Then throughout the day I sometimes catch him stopping and starting to "grunt". We race to the potty and he once again poos on the potty. I also set him on during diaper changes and many times he will just pee. Diaper changes after lunch and dinner have been good timed opportunities for him to also poo/pee.


So while I wouldn't say Tian is potty trained I would say he is getting used to sitting on the potty and actually starting to get excited about it. Everytime he uses his potty I praise him highly and now he has started to show signs of excitement when he goes - waving his hands and clapping!


As I have read starting this early can be great for many reasons but one being giving the child a positive experience with the toilet early on so when they hit the "terrible twos" or time of rebelling it isn't so hard. I can definetly see the positive thing happening at this point.


And if nothing else it is making diaper changing and cleaning a lot easier!






Yeah Tian!!!!

No comments: